I learnt baingan bharta only a few years ago. I always made it in a slightly different style with tamarind. When I made Bharta first time my son loved it, so it became a regular dish along with the traditional recipe in my home. I add roasted red peppers in baingan bharta. I like the color and taste of red peppers. Red peppers, tomatoes and egg plant belong to the same family and they complement each other well. I don't like other ingredients dominating the unique flavor of eggplant. So, I add less amounts of red peppers in proportion to baingan. You can adjust the amounts of tomato and red pepper according to your taste. If you want more of egg plant taste you can reduce tomato even further.
Nutrition:
They say baingan is a mispronounced word for be-gun meaning, lacking in any good qualities. Well, baingan is not the healthiest vegetable you can choose, but it does have a few nutrients. It is a good source of fiber, Vitamin K and Vitamin B6, Vitamin and manganese. It is also high in anti-oxidants and free-radicals. They are good for heart. But it is also high in sodium, which is not good for high blood pressure. It is also a sweet vegetable with a bit high amounts of sugars. It is one of the few vegetables with Oxalates. So, better to be avoided by people with kidney or gall bladder problems.
Ingredients:
1 Eggplant/Baingan
1 red pepper
4 green chillies chopped
3 red chillies
1/2 onion chopped finely
1 Tomato chopped finely
1 inch long ginger finely chopped
1/4 cup Coriander chopped finely
1 tbsp Coriander(Dhania) powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
3 tsp oil
4 curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek/menthi seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
A pinch of Hing
Salt
Method:
1. Grill Eggplant(vankaya) directly on stove or you can broil it in the oven or just roast it in the oven. I prefer
it on the stove. I just take a sheet of aluminium foil and use it as a liner around the stove burner by making
a hole in the foil for the burner. Makes it easy to clean as the egg plant leave a little water when grilled.
Once grilled, peel and mash it and keep it aside
2. Grill red pepper in the oven at 450 F for about 15 minutes or till it becomes soft and starts to leave water.
Once done, chop it and keep aside
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when they start to splutter, add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, red
chillies, hing and curry leaves, green chillies and ginger. stir for a minute.
4. Add onions, stir for a two minutes and add tomato pieces and salt. cover and cook till tomatoes become
verysoft. Add red chilly powder, turmeric , dhania powder or coriander powder and garam masala.
5. Add mashed baingan, red pepper peices and coriander and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Serve hot with chapti or hot rice. I like it with curd rice too.
No comments:
Post a Comment